I seem to be on a burrito trippage. S really loves Mexican food. He starts drooling over nachos and ahem, subway :) So, I do try to make Mexican food time and again. I love making nachos. They are so healthy when you make them at home by substituting all the right ingredients. But today, I decided to make a burrito which I've been wanting to make for a while now. You will probably have some, if not most of the items lying around in your fridge, and hey! the best part about the burrito is, if you don't have an item which I'm going to say you need, you can just skip it! Really all you need for a burrito is some tortillas, beans and some kind of filling. Here is a way to make the burrito a little bit more interesting! Ingredients Serves 2
Tortilla- 6 numbers Refried beans- 1 can (vegetarians: make sure the beans is not cooked in pork broth) Vegetable broth- 1/2 cup Hot sauce- 2 tsp Lemon- 1 Cumin- 1 tsp Minced garlic- 1 tsp Onion- 1 diced Tomato- 1 diced Jalapenos- 2 diced Cilantro- a bunch, chopped Avocado- 2 Cheese- to garnish (I used cheddar, you can use feta as well) Olives stuffed with pimiento- about 10, chopped Salt
Optional Sour cream Romaine lettuce
1. Chop onions, jalapenos, and tomato. First, we will make the guacamole. Take half of the chopped onions, half of the jalapenos, mix them together in a bowl, squeeze the lemon juice over them, season with salt and keep aside.
2. Next up, we'll make the refried beans sauce. In a pot, add the refried beans, veggie broth, hot saunce, and cumin powder. Let this warm up on Medium-low. This should take about ten minutes, the same time as the step 1 should take. I used:
3. Now, we will make the salsa. This one is simple. Take the other half of the chopped onions, jalapenos, the diced tomatoes. Mix them up. Add chopped cilantro. Season with salt.
4. Next up, heating up the tortillas. Heat up a skillet, put the tortilla on it. It should take about a minute for each side to get warmed up.
5. Now, add the ripe avocados to the guacamole, and mash it all together. My avocados weren't so ripe (I probably put them in the fridge, which I shouldn't have!), but the riper, the better. Chop up the olives and keep aside.
6. Yippie! now it is time to make the burrito. Take a tortilla, spread the refried beans sauce in the center. Sprinkle cheese on top. Top up with guacamole, then salsa. Now, if using the romaine lettuce and sour cream, add those. Then, garnish with chopped olives. Roll it up, munch away.
Wash it all away with a glass of Pinot grigio or merlot! Cheers!